Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Will Pang be set free?

In 1995, Martin Pang burned down his family's business warehouse to collect the insurance money to pay off his heavy debt load. As a result of his actions, four Seattle Fire Fighters died, and Pang was convicted, and sentenced to serve four consecutive 8.75 year sentences, which Pang agreed to in a plea deal to avoid a possible life sentence. Now, however, Pang's attorneys are trying to get him released claiming that his sentence is "unduly harsh" - nevermind what the Fire Fighters who died, and their families, went through - another case of lawyers working from the angle of the criminal's "rights", while totally disregarding the victims rights. The Times and P-I both have articles on this, which you can read here and here.

Why am I posting about this? Beyond the outrage I feel at the callous disregard for the victims, there are two reasons.

One, while with a previous employer, our offices were temporarily located in the building you can see in the upper left hand corner in the picture on the Times page, and I had several conversations with people who had been working there for many years, and remembered the fire. As a side note, all of the remnants of the warehouse were removed after the fire, and the property is now used for event parking, such as during an M's, or Seahawks game.

The other reason is deeper. During my time in the Navy, I was a fire fighter, and I worked very hard to become the best fire fighter on the ship that I served on, which I feel I can claim. I feel that, although that is no longer my profession, I am still part of that 'brotherhood', and so I deeply feel the loss of any fire fighter. On 9/11, I was a basket case due to both the overall casualties incurred, and the number of police and fire fighters who gave their lives. Every September 11th since then, I pause to give thanks to God for the brave men and women who willingly braved death or injury to help others. I still grieve for their loss, as well as all the other fire fighters who have given their lives in the line of duty, including the four who lost their lives due to the greed of a man, who may soon win his release from jail.

Am I outraged by that possibility? You're darned right I am!

UPDATE: Danny Westneat of the Times puts in his eloquent two cents worth on this here.

No comments: