Saturday, February 26, 2005

I'm saddened by this news

If you haven't guessed it by now from my 'nickname' Gray Wolf, I really like wolves. They are a very important part of the eco-system in general, and wherever they have been re-introduced in particular. I may be a conservative Republican, but I do care about the environment, ok? That is not an 'oxymoron' concept, by any means!

This morning, I read this article in the Seattle Times about the killing of an alpha-female wolf (the 'top {female} dog', if you will, in a pack) near Denali on Feb. 11th; at the end of the article, it describes how the alpha-male has been returning to the area where his mate was killed, and howling for her.

Life in nature is extremely difficult, and although I endorse hunting of game animals for food (I personally do not hunt), I do not support the hunting of animals strictly for the "trophy value", and when an animal that already has a difficult time surviving in the wilderness, it saddens me to learn of what I think is an unnecessary killing. I'm very saddened by this news.

No comments: