Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Well, I was wrong - happily enough

In a previous post, my brother and I "tag teamed" Reality Hammer over a post he did, regarding my misgivings over what I perceived to be glee over cuts President Bush is proposing to Medicare/Medicaid. My misperception was that I thought that he was being gleeful in the cutting of the "free scooters" for disabled people. I guess that the fact that my sister-in-law is pretty much confined to one of those clouded my reasoning to a certain extent.

At any rate, I sent an e-mail to Reality Hammer to give him a heads up about our post, and he was generous enough to both respond to my e-mail and to comment on the posting, which you can read below.

Rest assured, my glee is over the end to the practice of promising people that their scooter is "free" if they don't qualify under medicaid. The companies involved make it seem like there is no risk, and perhaps no cost to consumers.There are many people who require help to maintain their mobility. These people should not be ignored.What needs to end are the loose qualifications that allow companies to advertise, and live up to, the promise that almost everyone qualifies for subidized scooters under Medicaid.It is like the school lunch program. Instead of limiting it to the truly needy, they subsidize everyone's lunch. Then it is that much harder to remove unnecessary funding because everyone is now accustomed to the subsidy.

I sincerely appreciate the clarification, and am feeling relief that I was wrong about what I thought I was reading in your post. Thanks, Reality Hammer, for taking the time to do that.

No comments: