Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Howling about wolves

In case you haven't figured this out yet, I like wolves. Specifically the gray or timber wolf. Last night, on our local PBS channel, KCTS on the Oregon Field Guide program, the entire half hour show was on the migration of gray wolves from Idaho into eastern Oregon, which piqued my interest.

The thing I couldn't figure out was, what was the position of the program's writer(s) and producer(s) - were they for or against this 'invasion'? In my opinion I would have to say that they were against this, but didn't know how to come straight out and say it! The narrative seemed to me to be rambling, and slightly incoherent, which is very unusual for this program.

Why do I think that they are opposed to the state allowing the migration of wolves into Oregon? This is all supposition on my part, but to back up my supposition, I will say that they spent a lot of time interviewing and showing those who are definitely against wolves coming into the state - primarily those in the cattle and sheep industry - while only showing snippets of those who are for the return of the wolves.

What do I think? I think that it will be very hard, and expensive, for the state of Oregon to try to keep the wolves out. Wolves are very adaptable, and pretty smart, and I think whatever the state does - short of killing them all, which they can't because they are a threatened species - the wolves will figure out a way around whatever the state does to try to keep them out. I think the wolves should be allowed to gradually make their way back into Oregon, as it would be beneficial to the environment over all.

As to the concerns of the cattle and sheep ranchers? They say they don't want the wolves back in because the wolves kill and eat their livestock (pssst! wolves are predators - that's their job!), which costs them money. I can understand the fact that they don't like having their livestock eaten because it costs money, but the ranchers have to contend with coyotes and cougars, who also eat their livestock. "But!", say the ranchers, "We can kill coyotes and cougars, but not wolves!" (which is true - coyotes and cougars are "fair game", and can be killed on sight) To that I say, too bad - live with it. Your cattle and sheep will reproduce faster than the wolves can kill the offspring.

I say, leave the wolves alone, and let them live as they were intended to. What do you say?

No comments: