Wednesday, February 23, 2005

What were they thinking?

I'm a vet of the US Navy, having served from 1974 to 1976, and am usually happy when a new ship or submarine is commissioned and launched. However, in an article in the P-I, it was reported that the last of the Seawolf class of attack subs was launched, and I'm upset. Why? Because it was named after one of the most incompetent former Presidents we have had the misfortune of enduring, the Neville Chamberlain of our time, the guy who betrayed one of our staunchest mid-east allies, and then sat on his thumb basically doing nothing while US citizens were held hostage in Iran for 444 days - none other than the (moonbat nut case) peanut farmer from Georgia himself, Jimmy Carter.

While Jimmy does a fine job with Habitat for Humanity which I think he should limit himself to, he was a lousy President, and still thinks he has relevance in politics today, butting in where he isn't needed, and making what I consider to be blatant anti-American statements while in foreign countries (as well as in the US!).

Why did the Navy name the most powerful attack sub after this guy? There are only two reasons that I can think of - Jimmy served in submarines while in tha Navy, and he's a former President. I do not think those two things justifies naming something like the most powerful attack sub in the world after Jimmy, and I'm not a happy camper!

I'm certainly glad that I'm not still in the Navy, and assigned to that boat. Geeze, Louise, what were they thinking?

No comments: