Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Bush to take away "free scooters"?

One of my favorite blogs is Reality Hammer, which I check out on a daily basis as I find his insight and comments to usually be right on the money. I encourage you to check his blog out, if you haven't done so yet.

However, there was one post in particular (and a follow up that he did as well) back in January that I kind of take issue with. It had to do with the "cuts" President Bush plans to make in Medicare, and Reality Hammer seemed to take particular glee in the cutting of the "free scooters benefit" - you've seen the ads by distributors of those electric chairs that disabled people use to get around in, right? Well, my sister-in-law uses one of those. She has MS, and no longer has the use of her legs, and has no strength to use a non-powered wheel chair. When I read the post at Reality Hammer, I became a little upset, and asked my brother about their situation. Dither's reply is as follows -

The article indicated that Bush was trying to take away the "free" scooters from people. I don't know about that, but what I do know is that he is trying to get the money into local states hands rather than distribute it from the feds. Same amount of money doesn't seem to indicate reduction in benefits; it could actually increase benefits. My wife's scooter came through insurance, 20% paid by me, $180. Not exactly free. Also, we don't have access to the free stuff since we have too many resources - I own my home, cars and a retirement portfolio. The problem as I see it, has nothing to do with the scooters being free but with the cost of them being so high that only Medicare/Medicaid/Insurance can afford the dollars for them. These items are a specialty item. Manufactured to stringent standards so the owners have them for a considerable time and so that they are safe for the user. My wife has needed her scooter for the last ten years. Without it she would be confined to the house since she is unable to walk. While she has a wheel chair, it isn't powered except when I am pushing. She doesn't have the strength to push the thing herself. I don't consider myself to be a liberal in any way. I don't like the fact of the amount of regulations required by the government in order to manufacture the power assisted chairs and scooters that are in place since regulations, at best, increase the cost of everything. The unfortunate result of the costs require help for many whose lives would be severely curtailed without those "free" scooters. Should the government "pay" for these scooters? I would sincerely hope that we have enough compassion for the handicapped to chip in when needed IF the government finds it difficult to continue.

So ... those "scooters" really aren't free, except possibly for those that don't have any assets, as my brother has. What's wrong with providing something to disabled people that increases their mobility so they can live as "normal" a life as possible?

Don't get me wrong - Medicare/Medicaid fraud is rampant, and needs to be rectified. I don't want to start a "war" with Reality Hammer over this, but exhibiting glee about taking away "free scooters" just seems wrong to me somehow.

No comments: