Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Seattle P-I editorial I actually agree with!

Which you can read here. It's about methamphetamine use and production being an epidemic, and that the Administration, for some unfathomable reason, is against increasing funding to local police to help fight it.

I'm a recovered (not recovering, thank you very much!) drug user, who with Divine help in the late 1970's, came to the realization that drugs are very bad for one's health. Even as I was using drugs - and I never used meth, thank God! - I knew that if I didn't stop, I would die before I hit 21 years of age. I came to that realization when I was 20, by the way, and next year I'll hit the big "five-oh".

I stated that to say this. Over the past several years, there have been numerous reports of raids on meth factories in the Pacific Northwest, which are usually located in people's homes. Homes that become so contaminated by the chemicals used in the production of meth that they become hazardous waste sites, requiring officials to put on hazmat suits just to be able to go inside to clean the places up.

Most of the time, these homes where meth was being cooked, are filthy beyond belief. But, I suppose that when you are making and using meth, cleanliness goes way down on the priority list. Also found in these homes converted to meth factories, and this is the really disturbing part, are the children of the meth producers/users. Young children. Children who are exposed to not only the hazards inherent in the production of meth, but also to their parents, and their partents friends, using the drug. Children almost invariably look up to their parents as role models, don't they?

I think the Federal Government is making a very bad mistake here, pooh-poohing the idea that meth production and use has reached epidemic proportions. The production and use of meth is spreading across our nation, as a wild fire spreads through dry forest, and steps need to be taken NOW to stem the tide.

No comments: