Sunday, March 20, 2005

Can the Washington State Supreme Court remain objective?

In this article in the P-I, the question is raised regarding whether or not the WA State Supreme Court Justices can remain objective, whenever the gubenatorial election contest case comes before them, as many of the Justices have ties to both sides in the case. Can they then, truly be objective, or will some/most/all of them have to recuse themselves from hearing this case, whenever it comes before them?

My answer to that question of objectivity is - I don't know, but I certainly do hope so. Those people are paid to be objective in all cases brought before the State Supreme Court, not just this (potential) case. I have my doubts, though, considering some of their recent decisions.

If they cannot be objective, then they must remove themselves from hearing this case, plain and simple. We will see whan the time comes.

No comments: