Saturday, February 25, 2006

Would you like to become a Muslim?

There are several problems going around right now, the cartoons printed in the Danish press, the rumors of the Quran being flushed down toilets, the destruction of holy sites in Iraq. The basic response to all of these (and there are more out there) has been violence. How can that be? I have heard the statements by several Muslim groups about the Religion of Peace, about how it "really is" all about "peace". Is the "religion of peace" really all about "submission" since that is what Islam really means? I mean, are Sunnis supposed to submit to Wahhibists or Shiites or is there some other order? I realize that us infidels are supposed to submit to any Muslim since we are "wrong" about Mohammed and Allah, but which group of Muslims is the primary one? All of the different groups say that they are the "true" followers of Allah, it makes me confused.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons that there are major problems in the middle east has to do with one of the "incontrovertible facts" of the Muslim religion, that is to say, being a Muslim and becoming a Muslim just happens to be the "natural way of progress" to "God". To be completely honest, I wouldn't become a Muslim at all, since I can't even believe that Allah is God, regardless of whatever his "prophet" might have "said" for someone else to record. I once told a Jehovah's Witness that I would rather be excluded from their idea of Paradise for eternity than believe in their convoluted theology. I feel the same way towards Islam regardless of whichever branch.

I also think that the violence towards anyone outside of Islam and inside Islam towards the "other" factions is solid evidence of their fear that they may be "wrong." Since they are "right" (at least in their own minds) there can be no tolerance for anyone's religion or lack of religion. That could easily be the reason for many in Islam to be contemptuous of our efforts to tolerate Islam. The violence may also be turning many away from Islam unless they really want to commit suicide and be greeted by 70 virgins in Paradise (presuming the supply of virgins hasn't run out).

No comments: