Friday, October 14, 2005

Why the Libs don't seem to listen.

I have a young friend who is a liberal. I call him a friend because he is someone who has chosen to be friendly in spite of our political differences. He does try to influence me at various times and is puzzled that I seem to have more questions for him that he can't answer (or won't) without the leftist mantra showing up. He is also puzzled that I haven't started to yell and scream or lose my sense of humor while also trying to influence him. I have not been able to get him to acknowledge some things about conservative values aren't totally outside the realms of making sense. I was somewhat struck by the mantra of the left when he spoke about leaving this country for another because the policies of this country are "insane". I asked what came to mind and he immediately spoke of the "obscenity laws". When I asked him about them he spoke about the "parent's responsibility being to protect children and not society". He said it again even when I brought up the idea that children are preyed upon at the library by pedophiles. I also expressed my opinion that pedophiles out to have certain things done to them. I was unable to point out that society has put restrictions on free speech under several circumstances, most notably the yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, because I couldn't remember it. He made a comment about not having children because of the "over population of the world" that I had to let go due to our seperating and going our own ways at the end of the day's work. I think that he might just end up going to another country and finding out that the freedoms that he has taken for granted here in the US are not as freely given in other parts of the world, nor are they expected by the people. It is really sad to me, to think that there are people who allow others to think for them until their noses are rubbed in the problems. I remember one line about a liberal being someone who hasn't been mugged yet. He even piped up about the 2nd amendment and not liking it and him thinking that I would be in the same group that supposedly likes the 2nd better than the first... One answer to my title seems to me to be that they are content to look at things from the standpoint of their own limited experience and depend on others to think for them. Facts and complete information about things don't seem to influence a liberal since they belive what they "feel" to be the "truth".

No comments: