Friday, November 04, 2005

"Global Warming is a 'Fact'", scientists say so.

I have been mulling over the broadly painted and scarcely veiled terror-engendering articles in the Seattle Times a short time ago that covered the horrible news that "global warming is a fact and that humanity is the cause". The approved solution was the signing and implementing of the Kyoto accords by the United States. Our world is in crisis and the mean old US is ignoring the dangers.... Somehow I don't see that we are to blame for every difficulty that happens around the world or even our responsibility in fixing the problems caused by natural disasters, yet we are the ones who jump in first with the most in spite of the attitudes of many of the recipient nations. The large tropical storms and hurricanes that have happened this year was seen as "proof" of global warming by my young liberal friend. I was really surprised that he did not attribute the natural disasters to President Bush. I chose not to argue. We had a lot of work to get done and I didn't think that anything would be accomplished by the conversation. I also am wondering if global warming has anything to do with the increased amount of early cold wintry weather we are experiencing so far this fall. I mean, a foot or more of snow in the Cascades already? If this is global warming the skiers/snowboarders/winter sports folks will probably take more of it. I wonder if the early snow in the mountains is a precursor to a larger amount down in the lower elevations this winter? If so, how does that equate with "warming"? Yes, I know that one or two seasons that are different don't indicate a trend, but maybe that same thought can be applied to the idea of global warming? I remember reading that during the Roman Empire, some of the best wines were from England, a reason to believe that not all warming is bad? One other thought, there are a large number of scientists in the world, many are involved with environmental things. How many of these people were asked and how many were simply ignored if their statements didn't agree with the ones calling for major changes in environmental policies?

No comments: