Saturday, September 24, 2005

Freeway entrance for just busses?

I found out a couple of days ago that there is a freeway onramp from the Lynnwood park and ride that is limited to just busses. This strikes me as a monumental waste of our money. The figure that I heard was $17 million. That amount doesn't strike me as being such a problem, just that it is not being used for anything other than "mass transit". If the busses are usually half full when they stop at a park and ride, then the number of people on the bus total about 15 to 20. If there are 150 uses of the ramp by the busses each day then about 3000 people use the ramp. I can think of many ramps that could have been built that would have enabled many more than just 3000 to get on the freeway...

This brings to mind, what is the Dept of Transportation really trying to do? Somebody's idea of "improving" the uses of the freeway by "encouraging" people to get on a bus? What kind of improvements can there be by trying to get people to use the least convenient form of transportation available? If I have a story (and I do, actually more than one)about the Metro bus system's ineptitude in providing anything approaching convenience, then there are probably at least two for everyone who has been forced to depend on Metro and quite possibly several even from those who choose to ride the bus.

Before anyone takes aim at me for implying problems for riding the bus, please understand that I would use the bus if I had a job downtown unless I had paid (by the company) parking where I worked. The city of Seattle has done a masterful job in limiting parking places downtown and making it super expensive to even park for a short period of time. Not to mention the length of time that one can park in a spot should one be available. I had a job that required me to park on the street in Seattle in order to repair computers in various places and sometimes I was risking getting a parking ticket simply because the repair took longer than 1.75 hours. Since I was paid per job, the thought of getting a parking ticket was a negative incentive for doing my best work. I also have no problem with those who choose to work downtown or nearby environs and use the bus to get there.

I suppose that I am just thinking in terms of DOT providing their services for the larger number of commuters since the money for the ramp came from those who pay the gas taxes, and to a much smaller percentage of those who use bus. But why would that be of any consequence to the DOT's choices in how the gas tax is spent? After all, none of them are elected or are fireable? I have often joked about getting job with the DOT so that I wouldn't have to work until I retired...

No comments: