Sunday, August 14, 2005

Oh, what tangled webs we weave.

As reported here, a Libertarian public interest law firm has counter sued to have the Thurston County Judges decision regarding "in-kind campaign contributions" preliminary injunction over turned.

To bring you up to speed on this, I-912 is the Initiative to roll back the unnecessary gas tax hike the Dem dominated Legislature has foisted on us, and two talk radio hosts - John Carlson and Kirby Wilbur - urged listeners to sign the Initiative petition to get it on the November ballot. Well, the campaign for I-912 got sued by several state entities, who claimed that comments by Carlson and Wilbur were "in-kind campaign contributions", and that the I-912 campaign needed to report that to the State Public Disclosure Committee, and send in the money.

This has definite free speech implications, which could have an effect on all bloggers (including me) and radio talk show hosts, on both sides of the political aisle. For example, if I came out an advocated for a particular individual in an election, an their campaign didn't report my advocacy, their campaign could be fined, and I could be shut down - all thanks to that Thurston County Judges murky interpretation of the McCain-Feingold Campaign Reform Act.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I have the Constitutional right to say what I want, whenever I want to, and I'll fight - all the way to the US Supreme Court if needed - any attempts to stifle me.

No comments: