Sunday, May 14, 2006

Prof quits to protest Rice invite

As reported here, Boston College adjunct professor of English Steve Almond, in an open letter to Boston College President William Leahy that was published in the Boston Globe newspaper, has resigned his position to protest Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice being chosen as the commencement speaker at the Jesuit institution, calling Rice 'a liar'.

Almond bases his accusations against Sec. Rice on
this document (PDF format), prepared by Dem staffers for Henry Waxman, asserting in his letter that "... during the build-up to the war, Rice "made 29 false or misleading public statements concerning Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and links to al-Qaida ..."", quoting directly from the document as 'proof' that she is a liar.

I don't know Sec. Rice personally (but wish I did), but from my observations of her during her time as National Security Advisor, and now as the Secretary of State, I highly doubt that Sec. Rice could even remotely be considered to be 'a liar'. From what I have observed, she is eminently qualified for her current position due to her high moral integrity, honesty, and forthrightness, which also makes her eminently qualified to be commencement speaker at Boston College.

Mr. Almond, on the other hand ... well, suffice it to say that I am personally glad that I do not know him (and I don't want to, either), and that he is no longer in a position of influence over impressionable minds.

No comments: