Sunday, April 30, 2006

IAEA: Iran Defying Call to Stop Enrichment

As expected, and reported here, Iran remains defiant (in their quest to develop nuclear weapons), by refusing to halt uranium enrichment as demanded by the IAEA.

The IAEA report has been forwarded to the UN Security Council, and as I expected, the Chinese are still reluctant to do anything about Iran, while Russia said that they will examine the document "very carefully". With China and Russia - who as permanent members of the UN Security Council wield veto power over any resolutions the UNSC may deliberate - remaining obstinate in their reluctance to do anything meaningful about Iran, I see nothing useful coming from any meetings of the UNSC.

However, things may change to make China and Russia come in line with the rest of the civilized world, but I won't be holding my breath.

The
editorial board at the Chicago Tribune appears to agree with me.

No comments: