Monday, September 03, 2007

Thompson to announce candidacy on Thursday

As reported here, Republican Fred Thompson will officially launch his presidential bid Sept. 6 in a Webcast on his campaign site [www.imwithfred.com], followed by a five-day tour of early primary states.

"I believe that there are millions of Americans who know that our security and prosperity are at risk if we don't address the challenges of our time: the global threat of terrorism, taxes and spending that will bankrupt future generations, and a government that can't seem to get the most basic responsibilities right for its citizens," the former Tennessee senator and "Law & Order" actor said in a news release Thursday that laid out themes of his campaign.

This is welcome news! Why? Because I believe that Fred Thompson gives us the best chance of retaining the White House for another four years. There are too many issues with the remaining candidates on the Republican side to bring cohesion back to the Republican Party, to enable us to retain the White House.


So, I'm going on the record here to publicly endorse Fred D. Thompson for the Republican nomination, and for President of the United States in the 2008 election - regardless of what the FEC may say or do as a result of my endorsement, through the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Act, which in my opinion, regarding the part about weblogs, is unconstitutional. Here is the text of the First Amendment :

"
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." [Emphasis mine]

Note that it does not say, "except political speech".
The part that says "... abridging the freedom of speech ..." is pretty much all encompassing, and that is what gives me (and everyone else) the right to endorse whomever I want, for whatever political office, I choose to, Senators McCain and Feingold notwithstanding, and I will fight for my rights all the way to the US Supreme Court if necessary.

No comments: