Friday, October 03, 2008

My Take on the VP debate

First off, I think Gwen Ifill did a professional job as the moderator, which was a pleasant surprise. She kept things moving, without being heavy handed about it, and without letting her own personal bias get in the way. So, kudos to Gwen.

Senator Biden

Senator Biden did as I expected him to - attacking President Bush, and being supportive of his running mate, yet doing so in a way that was not personally hostile to Governor Palin. He made a few statements that, if I had been taking notes, I would be able to refute pretty easily, I think - after I got done crying "BS!". But, I didn't take notes - my bad. One area where I thought he was treading on thin ice was talking about his own record, which in the grand scheme of things ain't so hot. Another area where he definitely was treading on thin ice was in claiming that Obama "has repeatedly reached across the aisle" to work with Republicans in a bi-partisan way. Oh, really? When?

I have to admit that I came away from this actually liking the guy, even though I'm adamantly opposed to what he believes in as far as politics is concerned. I was touched by the emotion he briefly displayed when speaking of his personal family loss, wondering if his son was going to make it, and by his graciousness towards Governor Palin even though he's adamantly opposed to her political beliefs. He took the barbs thrown his way with good humor, and didn't allow himself to resort to "playing dirty" in retaliation.

All in all, I have to concede that Senator Biden did fairly well, so kudos to him.

Governor Palin

Governor Palin came across as determined to get her points across, even if it meant not exactly answering the question that had been posed. Although she seemed to check her notes quite often, I don't see that as a negative (unlike the MSM), as it showed me she wanted to get her response correct, whether it was in answering a question, or offering a rebuttal to something Senator Biden said.

She seemed as if she was prepared to really go on the attack at the start, depending on what Senator Biden said, and how he said it, but relaxed when she realized that she wasn't going to come under personal attack (with the only time that I recall that Senator Biden came close to doing that. was when he used the phrase, "bridge to nowhere).

She had a professional air about her during the debate, which was softened by her "folksiness" as the MSM has called it, which is exactly the right thing for her to have done. She presented herself as a capable, no nonsense, leader - whether in business or politics - yet still showed that she is, after all, a human being with feelings, and empathy for others.

What I liked best was when she looked right into the camera and spoke directly to "Joe Six Pack" and the "Hockey Mom's" - your average American. It made you want to - almost compelled you to - listen very carefully to what she had to say about what she thought was important for America, and how she and McCain were going to work to get us there.

All in all, I thought she did a good job with only one real flub - when she transposed "Main Street" and "Wall Street" (no big deal, as everyone knew what she meant, and like me, probably "fixed" it in their own minds). Kudos go to Governor Palin for her performance in this debate, as well.

So, who's the winner in my mind?

Actually, putting my own bias aside to look at this as objectively as I can, neither VP candidate landed any real knockout blows to the other, and in the grand scheme of things, this debate pretty much just let the American public get a better look at both candidates, and I have to declare it a tie.

Will this debate have a pronounced effect on the outcome of the election? No.

Will this debate have at least some effect on the outcome of this election? Certainly, but how much, and for which ticket is yet to be determined.

No comments: