Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas is coming...

Once again we are rapidly approaching a holiday that holds many types of memories for us. I find that my memories have become more muddled as I have accumulated more memories, sigh, aging is a crummy thing to have happen to you. For the most part, my early memories were of visiting both sets of grandparents and trying to be excited about the practical gifts I received, pants and shirts and sweaters or a jacket. These were usually good things for me since living in the central part of the country as a kid, we needed as many layers of clothes as we could put on to keep us warm in the winter. (No, I am NOT going to talk about how cold it was or how much snow was on the ground in the winter, just to let you know that some fun was had walking out onto the crusty snow and breaking through it or watching it fall from the roofs when the temperatures would warm somewhat.) As I have gotten older and my kids have moved away and gotten married and had kids I find that the memories that I have the most joy about concern the younger ones and not my own stuff. My wife heard about a question, "What was your favorite present that you received last Christmas?" and finding out how many people didn't even remember what it was... I don't remember, but I do remember how my family came over and how we had good food and conversation, a little TV and a little reflection on life and how much those things make me anticipate Christmas every year. When we think about the most important parts of Christmas or Hanachah's past, we can put it all into perspective by what we share with the important people in our lives. How sad it is for those whose remembrances are not of happy times and so therefore cringe at the coming of Christmas. One of the best parts of Christmas is trying to find ways to do for others and that can change someones viewpoint when Christmas is coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Pops- get ready for some more memories- as you head this way to spend Christmas with our little group- I'm sure we'll have fun and add new memories to your mental album :) The kids can't wait to see how you and Grammie decorate your gingerbread houses!