Sunday, October 29, 2006

Anti-abortion posters infuriate some students

As reported here, [a] small group of anti-abortion activists stood in the cold at the avowedly liberal University of Washington on Wednesday, bearing signs of dismembered, bloody fetuses. But despite the university's commitment to free speech, Show The Truth Washington had a hard time making its point.

Several dozen students supporting abortion rights encircled the sign-bearers, shouting pro-choice slogans into a bullhorn. Some tried to bar a photographer from access to the gruesome pictures.

The images were so gory and disturbing that campus officials had alerted students a week in advance. Because the university is a public institution, groups do not need formal permission to gather on its grounds, said Gus Kravas, who chairs the school's Use of Facilities Committee.

But students were incensed, nonetheless.

"I think it's absurd that they're here," said Grant Mandarino, 25, who is working on a graduate degree in comparative literature. "These people are not wanted. This is a pro-choice campus, and there isn't a place for them here."

So, Mr. Mandarino, you speak for everyone on campus? I think not. As for your statement that there isn't a place for them on campus, could you kindly show me in the US Constitution where it says that free speech is allowed everywhere except where you don't want to see or hear a view that is different from your own? I'm waiting ... oh, wait! You can't show me where that particular clause in the Constitution is, because there isn't one!

Let me remind you of something there, Sunshine. Free speech is guaranteed to every American citizen by the US Constitution, whether you agree with someone's point of view or not.

I don't happen to agree with your point of view regarding abortion (and possibly a whole range of other things as well). I also don't agree with the point of view espoused by that nutjob Fred Phelps, either. But you know what? Just because I don't happen to agree with either of the cited points of view does NOT give me the right to tell you, or Phelps, that you can't express those points of view.

Just as you, and your liberal PC adhering cohorts have no right to tell anyone, whether it's the "Show The Truth Washington" group, or me, what we can or cannot say, just because you disagree with what they, or I, are saying.

Let me say this one more time. Free speech is guaranteed to every American citizen by the US Constitution, whether you agree with someone's point of view or not.

Deal with it!

No comments: