Thursday, March 30, 2006

Abdul Rahman granted asylum in Italy

As reported here, Abdul Rahman, the Afghani who converted from Islam to Christianity and was subsequently charged with a capital crime for that, has arrived safe and sound in Italy where he was granted asylum.

Mr. Rahman was released from prison earlier this week, when the court said that there was not enough evidence to obtain a conviction, and then it was reported later that they had also determined that he was "mentally incompetent" to stand trial, which I think was a way for the Afghan court to "save face".

I'll take it, and I'm thankful that the court found a way to get themselves out of the mess they found themselves in, sparing the life of an innocent man. As I wrote earlier, I hope this prompts the Afghans into looking at their laws, to make some needed changes.

No comments: